- Lysine is an essential amino acid that has demonstrated positive results in the treatment of COVID-19, decreasing symptoms of infection in 80% of patients by 70% in the first 48 hours.
- Treatment used an average dose of 2,000 mg with an arginine-restricted diet and no coffee or caffeine. Several of the patients had a negative PCR test within 3 days of treatment and small group showed reduction in fever from 4 to 18 hours.
- Lysine has been well-studied and utilized against herpes simplex virus types 1 and 2; the best results were seen in patients who also restricted their arginine-rich foods.
- More benefits of lysine include a reduction in anxiety, reduced vascular calcification, faster wound repair and lower blood pressure in people with lysine deficient diets.
- The best way to balance your lysine and arginine levels is through dietary changes. If you supplement during a viral illness, the researchers caution to avoid zinc or calcium supplements, start with low doses if you are medically fragile and do frequent monitoring for those who have a pacemaker.
From: Lysine Therapy Interrupts Replication of Virus
Analysis by Dr. Joseph Mercola
October 18, 2021
Lysine Therapy for SARS=CoV-2
Kagan, et al. (preprint)